The former castle palace, today the town hall and headquarters of the city’s administration, is comprised of components from various different eras. The oldest structure from around 1400 includes the thoroughfare of the Upper Gate Tower, which lost its fortified features as a result of the reconstruction at the end of the 17th century. This is followed to the north by the Renaissance building of the Electoral Palatinate palace of 1537. Members of the electoral family, such as Ottheinrich, Johann Wilhelm and his wife Anna Maria Luisa Medici, as well as Elisabeth Auguste, spent a long time here. Then comes the part of the palace reconstructed in the second half of the 19th century by the Berckheim family, with the neo-Gothic tower erected in 1868. The baroque part of the palace, situated to the south of the Upper Gate, was erected in 1725 by the family Ulner von Dieburg.
Information on "The Castle and Surroundings" - Guided Tour